Monday, July 25, 2011

Going to Grandma’s House

Last Wednesday, John Brooks and I loaded up enough of our worldly possessions to last us 2 days and went to see my Grandma Jean in Ocala. I’ve mentioned Grandma Jean a couple of times on this blog before – she’s one of my favorite people – and she is one of the few people that John Brooks ALWAYS recognizes and smiles for.

We had such a good time! The drive down was uneventful – I managed to find a short cut that did not get us lost! We arrived around 10:30 am, John Brooks was eager to get out of his car seat and show off his new tricks (sitting up). My Aunt Diane and my cousins Thomas and Russell came over around 1 pm and we all had a great day playing, eating and visiting with one another. Around 5 pm we got restless and ran drove into town to get an ice cream cone. It was John Brooks’ first taste of an animal cracker and it was my first swirl ice cream cone in forever. Uncle Tom (Aunt Diane’s husband) joined us for supper and we had a regular feast of pot roast with carrots and potatoes, rice and gravy and butter beans! Yum! John Brooks even got in on the pot roast action, foregoing his usual Gerber vegetables for some real smashed up carrots and potatoes with a little of that good ol’ beef gravy mixed in.

On Thursday morning we took it easy and relaxed around the house until lunchtime. Then we drove to Panera and had a good lunch. It was Grandma Jean’s first time at Panera and it didn’t dissapoint either of us – although John Brooks was a little tired of all of the galavanting by that point – how tired you ask? – So tired that he fell asleep before we pulled out of the parking lot to head back to Grandma Jean’s house. Once back at the house mama loaded up the car and we said our goodbyes and pointed the car toward Trenton.

On the way home, since John Brooks was napping, I took a detour and drove down this road that the sign said went to Morriston (I am not sure of the road number). It was the prettiest drive I have been on in a long time, a nice winding road with horse farms lining each side. It made me so happy that I went out of my way.

All in all we had a wonderful time visiting with our family in Ocala! John Brooks did such a good job sleeping a way from home. I am glad that he is able to adjust so easily to new situations. It makes going places so much easier! Thank you Grandma Jean for letting us come stay with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment