Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Buy me a VW Bus and call me Flower

If a year ago you would have asked me whether or not I was planning to make or buy John Brooks’ baby food I would have been very much in the buy the baby food camp. I would have been a buy the baby food camper because at this time last year I believed that Gerber baby food was just as nutritious, tasty and way more convenient than making baby food could ever hope to be. I would have probably thrown in some politically incorrect comment about how only hippies make their own baby food and I most certainly am no hippy so absolutely not. That’s what I would’ve said a year ago.

My how the mighty have fallen….oh my how times have changed…fast forward to the present day and you will find that I have become a convert to the make your own baby food revolution. Why on earth would I have such a 180 degree change in my point of view? Several reasons, but mostly because I have tasted all of John Brooks’ store bought baby food and none of it tastes like real food. The kicker was when I tried the chicken and rice and it tasted absolutely nothing like chicken and rice, in fact it tasted exactly like Spaghetti-o-s. Now I love a good can of Spaghetti-o-s as much as the next girl but its not exactly what I have in mind when I think of a wholesome, healthy, tasty meal that I want to give my child. The Spaghetti-o chicken got me thinking that if I want John Brooks’ to become an eater who likes a variety of foods then I should probably be preparing him for the food that he will ACTUALLY eat. I toyed with the idea of buying a Magic Bullet and then I found this website and it taught me how to make baby food with utensils that I already have in my kitchen. I was so excited! This meant I could do what I wanted to do WITHOUT spending any extra money! SCORE!

So…over the past few weeks I have cut up these001 snapped, and steamed these002 and theseBeach 2011 348 and some yellow and zuchini squash, baked these003  and used these 004 to puree, divide, and freeze into John Brooks’ sized portions.

It has taken me approximately 2 hours each time to complete the task. Now I will admit that up until now I have had a lot of extra time on my hands so we will see how long this new venture lasts when I start back to school next week,  but I have to say that I LOVE the results thus far! I am able to give John Brooks’ a wider variety of foods, he is learning about different tastes and textures, and I really think that it will be worth the extra time in the long run.

Don’t worry though, I still plan to wash my hair with real shampoo and shave my underarms regularly. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment