Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Tough Guy

 

At around 5:00 pm yesterday I decided to workout. Ben was home for the day. He and John Brooks were playing outside and Bo was napping in his crib. Perfect time to sneak in a quick sweat session. Just as I hit play on the You Tube Video I heard Bo start crying (of course) so I hit pause and went to pick him up. As I was walking back outside with Bo I watched John Brooks reach for the water hose that was rolled up against the wall of the house on one of those water hose holding thingys that attaches to the house (apologies for my lack of knowledge of the terminology of home maintenance paraphernalia). Unfortunately for John Brooks there was a mean ol’ wasp taking up residence on that particular hose property and he like most wasps did not take kindly to the rapscallion who was trying to adios him from his new domicile.

Short Version: John Brooks was stung by a wasp.

Sorry about the poor picture quality. I couldn’t get a clear shot of the wound. Not that anyone but a RN would want to see a wound.

You can imagine the theatrics, whaling and gnashing of teeth that ensued. John Brooks was upset too. Ben and I switched kids in midair. Ben held Bo (who increasingly likes to be in on the action) while I took John Brooks to the bathroom. I washed out the sting while watching John Brooks’ face to make sure he wasn’t swelling or having trouble breathing (drama). Then I gave him a dose of Benadryl to be on the safe side. I also gave him a dose of Tylenol to help with the pain and discovered that my not so little baby has graduated to a new dose level which made me sad. By that point, John Brooks declared himself healed and ready to go back outside and play. I was impressed by his tough guy attitude and ability to not let a little injury inhibit his pursuit of a good time.

After consulting Web MD, Nurse Mama decided it best for the little patient to rest on the couch with an ice pack while I cooked him a get well supper of chicken and French fries. In an ugly twist of fate, the Benadryl kicked in before supper was ready and the poor little guy missed out on his favorite meal. Don’t worry Mama made sure to save him some for his lunch box today. Plus, now he has a war story to share!

P.S. If you are looking for a good chicken nugget recipe this one is a winner! I tweaked it a little by adding a tablespoon of sugar to the flour mixture. Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment