Saturday, May 16, 2015

Mother’s Day Weekend

 

My Mother’s Day weekend started on Friday when Bo, Ben and I tagged along on John Brooks’ class field trip to Homosassa Springs State Park. This park has become one of my favorite places to take the boys. I was oh-so-excited when we found out that the Pre-K end of the year field trip would take place at this location AND parents were encouraged to attend.

If you are near Homosassa Springs, I definitely recommend making the drive. The park is beautiful and shaded with exhibits of animals and plants native to the state of Florida with one special adopted native…Lu the hippo. The story of Lu is that she (I think) is a famous Hollywood (Cali not FLA) hippo who was donated to Homosassa Springs to do what most senior citizens in Florida do…retire. Governor Lawton Chiles declared her an honorary citizen so that she would be allowed to live out her days in the Sunshine State. Lu is one of John Brooks’ favorite parts of the park! Another cool sighting we had on Friday were manatees swimming in the spring! Even though I’ve lived in Florida my entire life it has just been in the past year that I have ever even seen a manatee so to see 3-4 swimming in the open water was a special treat for me!

On Friday night we had our first ever “Family Movie Night”. We ordered (picked up…because no delivery in the boondocks) a large Pepperoni Pizza and Paddington on DISH and had the most fun eating pizza and watching a movie as a family. I know this probably sounds lame to most people but it’s the season of life we are in so I am rolling with it and enjoying these special, quickly-passing moments with my boys and my husband.

Saturday, we continued the weekend fun by going to a local farm and picking blueberries. The owners of the farm are some friends of ours from church and they have the cutest little boy who is 18 months. He and John Brooks played together for a while in addition to blueberry picking and John Brooks was sad to leave when it was time for us to go.

 

Saturday night, Ben gave me the ultimate Mother’s Day gift of a night off (I’m joking…kind of). I was able to meet up with some of my girl friends for supper and socializing! It was a wonderful break. I truly believe that in order to be a good wife and mother I have to take time for myself sometimes and thankfully my husband agrees with me.

On Sunday, we celebrated Mother’s Day by dedicating that we would raise Bo in a loving, Christian environment at church. It was a sweet ceremony and I am so thankful to be involved with a church that values families and children. My Dad and step-mom Robin came as well as Ben’s sister Gina and 2 of her 3 children. It was a great way to celebrate being a Mom!

After church, we met at Ben’s parent’s house and celebrated Mrs. Colson by spending time with her as a family. Both of Ben’s sisters and their families came as well. It was wonderful to be able to spend time as a family. Our nephew Garrett will be graduating from high school in a couple of weeks so we know that these family times are going to happen less and less often as the future unfolds.

I rounded out my Mother’s Day weekend with another great present…a 45 minute nap! It was glorious….and only felt like five minutes which is a sign that it was much needed.

It was a wonderful weekend and I am so grateful that God has chosen me to be the Mama to two of the sweetest most-fun boys around! My heart bursts with love for these two and I constantly see-saw between being so excited to see what the future holds and wishing time would stand still and keep them little and wanting Mama forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment