Saturday, October 10, 2009

I am NOT a runner...

I am NOT a runner! I never have been. Even in elementary school when we had to run the mile in P.E. - I would walk it; in high school even when I played softball and was in the "training" P.E. class voluntarily...I would run half way and then walk, I could do stadiums for days, lift weights like nobody's sbusiness, I liked running the bases but only because if I didn't I would get out and let the team down; in college when all my friends started running to keep the beer weight off; I thought they were idiots and then I went out and ordered a bean burrito for my midnight snack...or Zaxbys..mmmm Zaxbys.

Needless to say, college was the time when my metabolism started to slow but my caloric intake stayed the same, well lets be honest, it sky-rocketed. I went into college a petite 5'3" 106 lbs and came out 5'3" 126....so in my case it was the "freshman 20". Then was a year or so of crisis, breakup, lost self, trying to figure out where to go and what to do with my seemingly unimportant bachelor's degree and lo and behold by the end of 2006 I weighed 140. Ahhhhhhh!

The end of 2006 wasn't all fat and flab though...it was also fabulous because in December of 2006 I met the man who is now my husband! A man who loves me no matter if I am round and pudgy or stick thin. We (Mr. Fabulous and I) dated for a year and then got engaged in December of 2007.

Then it was crunch time...literally...we both decided that we wanted to look fabulous on our wedding day (10 months away) so we needed to lose some pounds. At the time, basically everyone I know was on the Medi-Weightloss diet...so we joined the club...and it worked...especially for Mr. Fabulous. He lost 30 pounds in a month! I am not joking or exaggerating. He lost 12 pounds the FIRST week! I did pretty good as well going from 146lbs to 130 lbs in two months. With wedding jitters and planning and working out like a crazy woman I was able to be 127. Not my goal of 115 but a good start. AND THEN....the honeymoon, football season, thanksgiving, and Christmas all converged at what seemed like the exact same time and I gained a hefty 10 pounds....back to Medi I said....back to 500 calories, protein only, no carbs, helpful medication, and better living through chemistry. Again, it worked. I got down to 119...my lowest since freshman year...WOO HOO! AND THEN...Marco Island came a callin...can I say breakfast buffet belgian waffles anyone....tropical drinks...no exarercise...no cares!

Since then, I have been slowly gaining it back...those pesky pounds. As of last week I was 127.6. BUT I DON'T WANT TO GAIN IT BACK! I don't want to constantly fight with my weight in a tug of war of what I can and can't eat. I like to eat food! I like to eat good food! I like protein, carbs, fats, there are very few foods that I will not eat. I may even like to partake any a frosty adult beverage made of hops and barley occasionally...and I am not willing to give those things up because frankly...eating good makes me happy, not just the food itself but the socialization that comes along with going to a restaurant with my friends and family, or the joy that I bring to my hubby when I make one of his favorite dishes. I LOVE TO EAT.

I also work at a desk/chair/couch all day...no moving around for me...and alas I am now 26 and 1/2 years old and lets face it my metabolism ain't gettin' any faster. So it is time to make a change....I REFUSE to gain weight (in fact I would like to lose a few pounds) and I REFUSE to give up the good foods I like to eat (well most of the anyway, and I am okay with cutting out a few things except on special occasion; but what consitutes a special occasion?). So what is a girl to do?

SHE WILL RUN! She will get off of her lazy bum, stop walking three miles a day because frankly its not getting her anywhere, she will pick up the pace (along with her trusty, cheery, Mr. Fabulous side kick) and she will start running! She, I, we will start running today...in fact we already did (go us, go us) we jogged/walked 1 and 1 half miles or for 30 minutes. We are going to work our way up, albeit slowly, to 3 miles a day. I think (we will see) that if I blog about my journey into the world of the runners that it will motivate me to continue. We will see!

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment